- New Appointments Will Support Drug Discovery, Global Clinical Development and Future Growth
- Eluminex is Selected as a Potential Unicorn Company in China
SUZHOU, China, July 20, 2021 — Eluminex Biosciences (Suzhou) Limited (Eluminex), a venture-backed, clinical stage ophthalmology-focused biotechnology company headquartered in Suzhou, China with a U.S. subsidiary located in San Francisco Bay Area, California, announced several key senior appointments as part of the current corporate scale-up plan to support their new research and development innovation center (to be completed in Q3 2021) in Suzhou BioBay and further expand global clinical development expertise.
“I am pleased to announce the addition of these seasoned experts in ophthalmic product development to Eluminex as we continue to build our innovative pipeline of first- or best-in-class products,” said Dr. Jinzhong (“JZ”) Zhang, Chairman and CEO of Eluminex. “We are in an exciting period of growth and our new 2,200 square meter (~24,000 square feet) global headquarters and R&D innovation center in Suzhou BioBAY is expected to be completed later this year. These new team members strongly position us for future success.”
The new senior management appointees are as follows:
- Youqin Tian, MD, PhD, was appointed Vice President, Global Regulatory Affairs and Quality. With more than 25 years’ experience in the pharmaceutical industry, Dr. Tian has been involved in parenteral and ophthalmic product development for both Chinese and US markets. She has successfully led the IND/CTA, NDA/BLA/MAA filings and approvals. Previously Dr. Tian has served as Senior Director of Regulatory Affairs at Ascendis Pharma, Director of Global Regulatory Affairs at Alcon (a Novartis Company) and at Santen, Inc., and Assistant Director of Pharmaceutical Development/Ocular Drug Delivery at Alcon. Dr. Tian received her medical degree from Capital Medical University (formerly Beijing Second Medical University) and PhD in Pharmaceutics from the University of Illinois.
- Chuan (Harry) Li, PhD, was appointed Vice President of Discovery. Dr. Li has founded and managed Expression Technologies, Inc. and served as Vice President at Y-Clone Medical Science Corporation Ltd. Dr. Li is a pioneer in the field of synthetic biology with more than 20 years’ experience in molecular biology, protein expression, and antibody discovery. Dr. Li received his bachelor’s degree from Nanjing University and his PhD in Molecular Immunology from the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center and had his postdoctoral training at the Howard Hughes Medical Institute and the Salk Institute for Biological Science.
- Lening Zhang, MD, PhD, was appointed Senior Director and Head of Biometrics. Dr. Zhang has more than 20 years of experience working as a biostatistician in both academia and industry settings. Dr. Zhang’s experience included over ten years of experience working on ophthalmology drug and medical device development at Santen, Inc., Statistics & Data Corporation, and Bausch + Lomb. Dr. Zhang’s academic experience was at National Jewish Health where she worked as a biostatistician and Assistant Professor. Dr. Zhang holds a medical degree from Jilin University (formerly Norman Bethune College of Medicine), a PhD in Biological Chemistry from Drexel College of Medicine (formerly Hahnemann University), and postdoctoral training in biochemistry/molecular biology and Master’s Degree in Biometrics from the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center.
Eluminex is Selected as a Potential Unicorn Company in China
The Great Wall Enterprise Institute (GEI), a strategy and management consultant company founded in 1993, named Eluminex Biosciences as a Potential Unicorn Company in China at the 2021 China Potential Unicorn Enterprise Cooperation and Exchange Conference held on June 29. Eluminex was selected from a prestigious group of emerging companies covering thirty-two diverse business focus areas including innovative drugs and medical devices, digital medical products, artificial intelligence, business digital services, new energy products, and artificial intelligence vehicles. GEI has recognized only 425 companies as a Potential Unicorn Company in China. (Source:
About Eluminex Biosciences
Eluminex Biosciences is a privately-held clinical-stage biopharmaceutical biotechnology company focused on both global and regional development and commercialization of innovative therapeutics to fulfill unmet medical needs in the treatment and management of ophthalmic diseases. Eluminex is devoted towards innovating the next generation of first-in-class or best-in-class ocular therapeutics for vision-threatening or lifestyle-limiting ocular diseases. In addition to the bioengineered cornea (EB-301), Eluminex has developed a pipeline of next generation multivalent protein therapeutics for retinal diseases (EB-101, EB-102, EB-105, and EB-107) including age-related macular degeneration, macular edema, and diabetic retinopathy; these assets are wholly owned and developed by Eluminex. The Eluminex global headquarters and research and development center are located in Suzhou BioBay Industrial Park, China with a US-subsidiary located in the San Francisco Bay Area. Eluminex is supported by three premiere global life science venture funds: Lilly Asia Ventures, Hill House Capital, and Quan Capital. For more information, please visit www.eluminexbio.com.